The Psalms

Conjah Woman says,

"In the Bible, the Book of Psalms, can be read for comfort, when you do not know what to say to God or read when you do not have or know the words to pray.  However please be aware tacit prayers are just as powerful as they evince your heart's despair, hopes, dreams, fears, sorrows or anguish as well as elated joys because you feel the love God has for you-fore God hears all, cause God is All.

Psalms are God's promises to us that no matter your triumph's or trails, you're never alone fore He is always there...."


A psalm I discovered last night reading to my Mom, who suffers from Alzheimer's, was Psalm 40.  It's one of the Conjah Woman's favorite along with Psalms 37, 51, 62, 69 to name a few.  Mine are Psalm 91 with the old stand by of the 23 Psalm, a classic which I will share here:

Psalms 23

The Lord is my Shepard
I shall not want
He maketh me to lie down in green pasture,
He leadeth me beside still waters,
He restoreth my soul
He leadeth me in the paths of Righteousness 
for his name sake
Yea, though I walk
Through the valley of the shadow death,
I will fear no evil:
for thou art with me
Thou rod and staff
they comfort me
Thou preparest a table before me 
in the presence of my enemies 
Thou annointest my head with oil
my cup runneth over
Surely goodness and mercy 
shall follow me all the days of my life
And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord 
Forever....

My Mom awoke last night unable to return to sleep because she was afraid of something. Unfortunately due to her condition she could not articulate the details of her terror, which tripled her fear because they were consuming her and she hungered for escape.  So, calmly I told her to take my and told her to squeeze her time she felt fear grappling her. Every so often I feel a faint squeeze, as eyes darted off to the right to left watching for the pending danger.  It was hard to witness as I know it was only an imagined fear, I thought anxious how to conquer it.  So it came to me to sing, which we did together.  Then we recited the Lord's Prayer which she remember and I had to hold it together not to cry because Alzheimer claim so much of the person's memory, it leaves the person a shell of themselves. However, while this helped, I could still feel her angst. My eyes searched her bed room and when I looked at the television I saw the cause.  Some arbitrary show where some men where fighting, play fighting, but in my Mom's state she tell the difference. Then if just occurred to me turned the T.V. onto a gospel music station and as that played softly in the background, I read Psalms.

My mother before the disease, was a serious prayin' woman and we hail from a family of deeply praying women.  So with each passage I read, I could see her being revived, strengthen and literally transforming her continence as she remembered her rich spiritual heritage to become relieved.  You see my mother was a seer, as was her mother, my Grandmother before her, not to mention the Conjah Woman.  So by the time I finished the "Terror by night" a line from the Psalm 90, had been vanquished and it brought much needed solace.  

All praises be to You  Goddess Yemaya, for when I walked into my mother's room last night I was at a lost what to do, yet once again, but I surrendered to listen and you guided me the path that was needed.  Thank You for without You I am nothing....



Blessings of Peace Family,

Kioni


Comments