Trooper



Greetings Family,

I've had the most incredible day! I helped save a baby seal that was washing ashore in Long Beach this morning. It brought me to tears, cause it was trying to eat what at first looked like a shoe, but turned out to be a dead shark and it kept trying to eat the shark, but to no avail. In tears I started back to home, but since I was a good distance away I thought baby seal would perish. So I walked, almost run, to the first person I saw to ask if she could call and if not her than go to the next person until someone did......

Side note, I don't have a cell (Shut-up! I know, I don't wanna hear, cause this event has prompted me to get one to join the 21st Century).

.... at any rate, Bea, the first lady I approached said, "Oh course, let's go see" and together we walked over to the distressed baby seal, who was still struggling to eat the tiny shark, but not succeeding. Bea rushed into action asking who to call. I wasn't sure, but suggested the ASPC. Needless to say that number did not work when she spoke into her phone saying ASPC (God the miracles of modern technology). So instead she decided to call 911. They directed her to Animal Control and while Bea was waiting, I thanked her profusely, where upon response matter-of-factly, "Oh I would have done it if I'd saw the seal first." I had hold it together, not to cry again, she could have said no.

Long story short, it did take a while for help to arrive cause it turned out, there was another baby seal washed ashore a little ways ahead. In the interim though another man came running by and while I though he was just looking and leaving, he'd ran down toward one of the many fisherman dotting the shoreline in the morning hours, who gave Runner man a fish he'd caught where upon Runner man return giving baby seal, who initially had problems negotiating how to sallow, much needed sustenance. And once baby seal figured out how to eat it ate heartily.

This once lifeless baby who possessed the most soulful eyes which followed me as I passed determined to get help, now had been revived. I don't know how long I sat out there with Bea, Runner Man, a little girl that appeared and the countless people who strolled by in amazement, all stopped in a moment of humanity where color, race, creed paled in the greater need coming together to help Trooper, my name for baby seal's spirit, cause even though it couldn't eat the tiny shark, it tried and tried and tried again.

When Animal Control did arrive, they decided to leave Trooper there because of it's resilience and posted a sign stating it was a Federally Protected Marine Animal. That's way I can't say I've named Trooper, cause you can't name something that's wild and free...

Thank you Yemaya, for telling me what to do in that moment, cause honestly I was at a complete lose in this crisis, but You got me though. My Dear Goddess of the Sea You're my heart in ways words can't express, let alone explain.

You're servant,

Kioni

Comments