Woman of Substance

Greetings,

For "Shit's and Giggle's" I entered the 2014 More Magazine Beauty Search Contest.  Along with the entry fee an essay portion was required which consisted of answering the following question:

"What make you (or the woman you're nominating) a woman of Beauty, Style and Substance?" 

This post is my response to that inquiry. Tell me what you think in the comments below.

"What makes you a woman of Beauty, Style and Substance?"Because I am from a community of women that stretches from time's inception to time's end.  And while I thought I came from only Mother Africa I now know-since each of us is energy, light, timeless matter, existing in lives to vast to remember or fathom-I have been not only woman, but also man, not just black but maybe Native American possibly Asian,  plant life or perhaps animal, water or sky.  Yet for whatever reason in this lifetime I have chosen woman Afrikan. So I link myself to Ancestor's who stoop picking cotton in fields from dawn to dust, who were raped endlessly, but endured just the same.  
From Ida B. Wells to Angela Davis or the names of women, daughter's of the Diaspora, that continue to bear the scars of the past to create the foundation for an Oprah Winfrey which now extends to manifest Lupita Nyong'o at the 2014 Golden Globe Awards.  


So from my Great-grandmother, Rachel to my Grandmother, Roberta, to my Mother, Peggy to Me, Kioni, I am a woman of substance because no matter the color or creed, I hold my family together by being present in times of need or joy, happiness or despair and it is through their love I find my meaning and purpose for being.  Thus continuing the legacy of nurturing that I believe inspired the term Mother Nature, because we women hold up the sky and continue to expand the universe into millennia. Fore beauty, style and substance exemplify virtues which are both internal and external by uplifting your fellow human by not demoralizing them as if they are nothing which I do everyday, by witness these qualities within myself.

Thank you My Ancestor's












Your Daughter,

Kioni

Comments